2016

I've kept this blog, on and off, since 2006. In 2015 I used it to chart daily encounters, images, thoughts and feelings about volcanic basalt/bluestone in Melbourne and Victoria, especially in the first part of the year. I plan to write a book provisionally titled Bluestone: An Emotional History, about human uses of and feelings for bluestone. But I am also working on quite a few other projects and a big grant application, especially now I am on research leave. I'm working mostly from home, then, for six months, and will need online sociability for company!


Thursday, November 01, 2007

Four women satirical protesters

Now here's a lesson for the Chaser: better frocks!!

I love these photos from The Age, and am proud to know one of these women well, to know another from the primary school over the road, and to recognise another from her mother's more familiar face...

Go Liz!!



Caption: Four women satirical protestors dressed in 1950's garb and wearing rosettes naming them as the "John Howard Ladies' Auxillary Fan Club' walked, sung, offered advice and asked questions as well as offering home cooked cake to the PM during his walk. Photos: Andrew Taylor

Actually, it was Yellowcake...

2 comments:

David Thornby said...

Stephanie,

I feel I'd better start on-topic just to align with internet, you know, niceness. Therefore, hurrah to these ladies, and as you say, there's a lesson for the Chaser, and that lesson has something to do with the idea that 'interrupting people and hoping they react badly and we get to film it' is at best a deeply tiresome failed version of comedy and/or political commentary. I hope they took with them more than one Race Card, as the PM appears to be handing them around the team more widely this election than previously.

Off topic. I just found your blog (for which, thank you) and mused on what an odd and interesting thing the internet is. I'm an old student (either 1990 or 1991, but don't press me on that) and have retained an abiding fondness for you, the class, and your teaching -- retained, until I press 'Publish your comment', from the appropriate polite distance. Presumably I (or any of us former students of whom I presume there are nowadays rather a number both floating about indeterminately and, more specifically, reading your blog) could always have written to your email address with little difficulty since yours (like mine) is public record. However, the existence of the blog seems, somehow, to do something to the polite distance previously mentioned. Changes the rules perhaps, but why exactly?

Upshot of which is, I wanted (and suddenly felt permitted) to say congratulations on your pieces of excellent news, and if it's not now redundant (one is never quite sure, but then one never feels quite sure about a lot of things), my sympathies on having had to go through the illness, diagnosis and treatment in the first place.

I'll keep reading with interest. It really was very nice to find this.

This old world is a new world said...

Hi David, great to hear from you! Yeah, the internet has really done weird things to our notion of public and private, hasn't it? But your kind thoughts are most welcome: and of course it's always lovely to hear people remember their studies with pleasure.

all the best,
Stephanie