2016

I've kept this blog, on and off, since 2006. In 2015 I used it to chart daily encounters, images, thoughts and feelings about volcanic basalt/bluestone in Melbourne and Victoria, especially in the first part of the year. I plan to write a book provisionally titled Bluestone: An Emotional History, about human uses of and feelings for bluestone. But I am also working on quite a few other projects and a big grant application, especially now I am on research leave. I'm working mostly from home, then, for six months, and will need online sociability for company!


Monday, August 17, 2009

Why I don't feel sorry for Nick Riewoldt

I am normally a rather mushy empathetic type, very willing to try and get inside someone else's skin, or stand in their shoes, or egotistically to wonder how I would feel if it happened to me.

But when Nick Riewoldt missed the post-siren captain's goal that would have preserved St Kilda's undefeated record this season, so that my beautiful young Bombers scored a narrow upset victory and scraped into the top eight with only two rounds to go, I didn't feel for him. I've looked at the picture of him holding his head in his hands, and I still don't feel anything. I am turning into a callous monster.

Here is Martin Blake's terrific account of the match.

4 comments:

Kerryn Goldsworthy said...

You callous monster.

I, your friend, am shocked.

genevieve said...

Oh, I think the Saints can afford to give one away at this point. You're okay, they're okay.
NB Saints need to win the whole shebang, though, for my brother-in-law. So I have no feeling for Bombers or anyone else either.

This old world is a new world said...

Indeed, Genevieve; and there may even be an argument for saying the Saints will do better when it really matters after having dropped the ball, so to speak, for the first three quarters, against Essendon. But still, in my own quiet way, I was screaming at the radio on Sunday! It was such a great match. Even my Blues-loving partner was enthralled...

Megan Cassidy-Welch said...

Tall poppy syndrome, Stephanie, that's all I'm saying...!
Megan C-W