2016

I've kept this blog, on and off, since 2006. In 2015 I used it to chart daily encounters, images, thoughts and feelings about volcanic basalt/bluestone in Melbourne and Victoria, especially in the first part of the year. I plan to write a book provisionally titled Bluestone: An Emotional History, about human uses of and feelings for bluestone. But I am also working on quite a few other projects and a big grant application, especially now I am on research leave. I'm working mostly from home, then, for six months, and will need online sociability for company!


Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Eating in Public: a series of occasional vignettes

At Barkly Square (a pretty ordinary shopping mall in Brunswick: no nightingales here), I walked past the big glass windows of the little food court. Sitting up at the bar facing the windows (with the fish and chips, the "asian" food, the turkish bar, the hamburger joint and the roast chicken bar behind him) was a man with a big spoon, demolishing with gusto a large half of watermelon. Its lurid pink and green looked cartoonish against the quotidian drabness of his surroundings.

In April last year, I blogged about a woman eating cheerios in Philadelphia. Are two examples enough to constitute a series?

3 comments:

Elisabeth said...

I know Barkly square. It's an extraordinarily powerful image this watermelon, this spoon and this devouring man. Thanks.

Jeffrey Cohen said...

Needless to say (?), I love vignettes like this one. The man with the lurid watermelon has implanted himself within my own image-bank: I won't be satisfied until I spot an analogue.

elsewhere said...

I love Barkly Sq, miss it even. I often used to linger there for the people watching.

You should go for the triffecta at least! A new trajectory in blogging.