2016

I've kept this blog, on and off, since 2006. In 2015 I used it to chart daily encounters, images, thoughts and feelings about volcanic basalt/bluestone in Melbourne and Victoria, especially in the first part of the year. I plan to write a book provisionally titled Bluestone: An Emotional History, about human uses of and feelings for bluestone. But I am also working on quite a few other projects and a big grant application, especially now I am on research leave. I'm working mostly from home, then, for six months, and will need online sociability for company!


Wednesday, September 30, 2015

My Year with Bluestone: What Can This Mean?

Walking through Carlton, and Argyle Square. What can it mean? The "foundation" corner stone is lovely bluestone, laid by then Lord Mayor John So, but the rest of the squares are rather nondescript concrete/granite. Did they run out of money? Or did they think commemorative stones should be bluestone?

3 comments:

winkieg said...

Bit hard to tell from the photo, but might they be marble?

This old world is a new world said...

That would be nice, I think, but perhaps some kind of terrazzo composite? I was walking to the tram after dropping off the car to be serviced with a streaming headcold so didn't have the energy to stop. Perhaps I'll go back. Wonder if there's a good history of Carlton I can find to tell me more about it.

winkieg said...

Just stopped off and had a look, at 10 past 1 in the morning! (in a taxi, heading back into town to knock off).
In the dark, they do appear to be a type of marble. I would suggest that the stone has some form of Italian connection.
One would expect some form of explanation would be provided though. It would be far more relevant and informative than the self centered claptrap, provided on the "foundation" stone. I tire of hearing 'how good they are', from politicians spending other peoples money.